The BC Human Rights Clinic (the “Clinic”) provides free legal assistance and representation to individuals who have filed complaints with the BC Human Rights Tribunal.
Legal services provided at the Clinic may include:
- Summary advice
- 1-2 hours of legal assistance
- Legal representation
Qualifying for legal services at the clinic
To qualify for legal services from the Clinic, you must:
- Have filed a complaint which has been accepted by the BC Human Rights Tribunal;
- Have a complaint that appears on its face to be a case of discrimination; and
- Be unable to obtain assistance from other sources.
The Clinic may consider any of the following factors in deciding whether to accept your application for legal services:
- Your income;
- Diminished capacity or any other physical, mental, or socio-economic limitations affecting your ability to represent yourself;
- Whether you have applied for assistance in a timely manner (within 30 days of notice from the Tribunal that your complaint has been accepted); and
- The availability of the Clinic’s resources to provide services to you.
Making an application for legal assistance
Please read this information carefully when making your application for legal services from the Clinic. Any misrepresentation or inaccurate information provided on your application may disqualify you from receiving assistance from the Clinic.
To apply for free legal representation from the Clinic, complete the online application.
After completing the application, please send a copy of your complaint and the email you received from the Tribunal telling you your complaint is proceeding to [email protected].
Our intake committee may take up to 4 weeks to assess your application and make a decision on whether we can assist you. Until you receive confirmation of assistance from the Clinic, you remain responsible for all steps in your complaint and meeting any deadlines set by the Tribunal. While you are waiting for us to make our decision, please send us any new documents you receive from the Tribunal or respondents.
To request a hard copy of the application form or other accommodations, email [email protected] or call 604-673-3127.